Sunday, October 17, 2004

God & Politics

When George Bush talked of his faith last Wednesday my heart was warmed and spirit lifted. When John Kerry discussed his Catholicism I wanted a lawyer. His secular, nuanced dissection of his position (Notice Position vs. Faith) left me cold.

Faith is a blind trust with me. I need not dissect it. I do contemplate it regularly, which is quite different. I view GOD as over all, not just for good. I find I need HIM most when life is not going well and often see HIS hand in the entire process once I grant the space needed to reflect upon it. When a choice is made that leads into difficulty I could blame the Almighty and wish to abandon the cause, but find this generally leads to successive failure, because nothing is seen through to completion.

Our trials are the source of our character. When Bush reflected he prayed a lot and sought succor in times of trial I knew he spoke the truth of life. His detractors strike back with, why would GOD let the President commit troops to Iraq in the absence of WMD, no 9-11 connection etc. A just GOD surely would have prevented such a horrendous mistake, right? I disagree, consultation with the Almighty is to request the correct path in terms of the universe. Interim difficulties are obstacles along the road of the faithful, meant to be overcome through faith and trust in the Lord.

While I am comforted to know the President prays regularly about things, I am certain he also utilizes the brain trust around him to discern the logical course to accomplish the needs of our Country. Our opponents would have us believe GOD tells the President to do things. This could not be further from the truth. The logic is applied the plans tested, adjusted, more logic, more testing, with frequent prayers to receive His succor and resolve, etc. Then as a final gut check I believe our President seeks His guidance once more before committing our country on a course of action. I would have it no other way.

When contemplating a Kerry Presidency I find his plans would be more an application of poll data vs. logic. He stated he could not force his Articles of Faith upon us. Where is the vision and divine guidance in that? What would be his final gut check? A last minute poll, A communication from another world power? Once committed, what would our course be when things got difficult and favor shifted? Would we veer from our path, falter in the face of our enemy? GOD Help Us.

The choice is clear, the path not smooth, nor the outcome certain, but forward we must go. We must do all we can to elect George W. Bush November 2, 2004.

|